Thursday, July 10, 2008

Apartment Hunting, Vol. I, Part II

Apartment hunting sucks. I've been perusing the pages of Craigslist, hoping to find a nice apartment, and there's zilch out there. I've also responded to several realtors, the majority of people who post ads for apartments, telling them exactly what my boyfriend and I are looking for and to please contact me if anything comes up. Nobody responds. You wouldn't believe the shitholes people are trying to rent nowadays. And, I love seeing an ad for a place that doesn't even have a dishwasher in the apartment or a washer/dryer in the entire building. The best is when an ad says: "Laundry close by", which basically means if you want to get any of your whites done, you'll have to walk a few blocks to the local laundromat. Bish, pls! I stopped going to laundromats in my 20's. Or, it says: "has laundry hook-ups". We rent for chrissakes. Do you think we have a full washer/dryer set that we just cart from apartment to apartment?!

I also like seeing "no utilities included", and then you find out that this old, drafty apartment with high ceilings and shitty windows from 1957 is heated with oil. Oh, great sign me up! I have a $700 old gas bill from my LAST apartment that I'm still paying off because the place had god-awful windows and the ceilings were very high. The place was freezing cold all frigging winter, and yet our gas bill was $400 a month. I bet those ceilings were toasty warm though.

Also, nobody wants to live in your shitty apartment with the indoor/outdoor carpeting. It's gross.

3 comments:

Liz Stone Abraham said...

Oh God I remember that. Awful. I lived in at least eight apartments before getting married and moving to the burbs. Once I was shown a place where the toilet in the hallway, outside of the apartment. The agent reassured me that no one else would be using it. Call me a spoiled brat, but the toilet has to be inside the apartment. You have my deepest empathy.

Colette said...

It was in the hallway??!! I love how the brokers act like those things are totally normal. There's one ad out there that says the kitchen has no stove, but the landlord will supply a hot plate! I will post it if I can find it.

Liz Stone Abraham said...

My favorite real estate ad, which I clipped from the local paper but have since lost, was for a house for sale. Under amenities, it started with--I'm not joking here--"Enjoy sewer." It was shorthand for "this house is hooked up to the town sewage system so you don't have to deal with a septic tank. But talk about small-town advertising...