Tuesday, July 29, 2008

While You Were Dressing Up Your Poodle


They had a guinea pig festival in Peru. This is where they dress up their guinea pigs in adorable outfits and pose them for cute pictures, all while feasting on - guinea pigs. It would be the equivalent of an American chicken festival, only we dressed the chicken in costumes and paraded them around while we were gnawing on fried chicken. It's warped; however, Peru is a third-world country. Guinea pigs may be cute, but they're also (gasp!) food for Peruvians.

I want one - a big, fat one. He could be a playmate for my cat, Peter. I just hope Peter wouldn't try to eat him. Maybe if I dressed up the guinea pig that would show Peter that he was off limits because what cat wants to gnaw through a pair of guinea pig pants. (Via Best Week Ever via Telegraph)

2 comments:

Liz Stone Abraham said...

Oh man did I miss this one. As you know--since you have been kind enough to comment on my picture of Koko--I am a guinea pig person. As it happens, I am also really into Latin American cultures. So I have quite a conflict of interest regarding the Peruvian (and Colombian, I believe) custom of eating my little guys. Apparently they domesticated GPs over a thousand years ago. The European colonizers brought them back to Europe thinking that the monarchs and nobles would want to eat them. Instead they found them adorable and kept them as pets. Hence, the habit of keeping them as pets here in the U.S. One man's dinner is another man's cutie pie. c'est la vie...

Colette said...

I share your love for guinea pigs. I think they're adorable. Do I think it's sad that Latin Americans eat them? I do, but i also understand that they are not as fortunate as us, Americans, with the amount of food we have available at all times. They have to take what they can get. It's too bad for the guinea pigs, but people come first.

Aww Liz, Koko was so cute.