Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Sad Day

Our family dog, a Shih-a-Pooh named Rover was put to sleep last night. He lived to the incredible old age of sixteen years old. The poor guy had pancreatitis and his kidneys were slowly failing. He was too old to make it. He hadn’t eaten in 9 days, and my mom couldn’t see him suffer any longer. My boyfriend and I saw him this past weekend, and he was just lying in the living room underneath a blanket; he couldn’t stand. My mom and stepfather had to carry him because he was too weak.

It’s a very sad day. I'm taking it a lot harder than I thought I would have. He's been around since I was sixteen years old. He was part of the family, and we loved him dearly. I will miss him running around and wagging his tail when I walk in the door, barking for snacks because he loved to eat, but most of all I will miss seeing how happy he was because he was so loved and cared for. I will miss the joy he brought to our family.

My wonderful boyfriend is going up there today after work to help my stepfather bury him. My brother had built a beautiful wooden coffin years ago for him per my mom's request. She wanted him to be buried with dignity. He will be put to rest in the backyard next to Mr. Jones, the cat, and Ollie, the bird.

It’s a sad day for the family.

We love you, and you will be greatly missed. You were the best dog a family could ever hope to have.

RIP Rover.

No comments: