Friday, June 13, 2008

Hallmark Needs to Get a Clue

I was searching for Father's Day cards yesterday, trying to find one for my father and one for my stepfather. I came across a cute card with a set of tools on it for my father, and I thought it would be a nice card because he is a carpenter. I thought it was funny and fit the situation perfectly. Then, I tried to find a Father's Day card for my stepfather. All I could find was cards that said, "You're like a father to me." or some other ridiculously sappy statement. Now, I love my stepfather, but I do not ever say that he is "like a father to me" because I already have a father. He is a great stepfather. I have a good relationship with him.

I'm sure there are few people who can actually say they do get along with their stepfathers. So, then why does Hallmark print these overly sentimental and sickeningly sweet cards for stepfathers? Shouldn't they come out with a line of cards more appropriate for people who want to give a card, but may not have the best relationship. Not many people can really say that their stepfather is like a father. This is a society where the majority of marriages end in divorce. Most people's parents are divorced and remarried. If that's so, then why are there only three stepfather cards amongst a ton of cards for your father?

I realize it's called "Father's Day" for a reason, but I think the greeting cards companies should get together and start developing lines of cards for the step parents. How about cards that say, "You're a great guy and you treat my mom well, so have a happy Father's Day." Or, "Thanks for not beating me when I was younger. Happy Father's Day." Or even, "Sorry I called you an asshole when I was eight. Happy Father's Day." I think these are much better choices than what's out there now. I have no idea who's buying the "I love you like a father" cards. I guess they're the same ones buying the "I love you like a mother" stepmother cards.

1 comment:

Indranee Batabyal said...

Hello Colette! I am a first time visitor to your blog and I liked your posts. Keep it up!