Thursday, December 18, 2008

Four Bucks


This is McDonald's latest ad campaign obviously targeting Starbucks and their $4.00 espresso drinks. It's clever, and it's a great marketing ploy, but can I just say, I like Starbucks. I would much rather order an espresso drink there than ordering it at McDonald's, and it's not about the jazz or Motown CDs they play or the fancy names of all the coffee drinks. No, it's because that's what Starbucks is known for. They make espresso drinks, and I know they're not going to fuck it up because that's all they do, from when they open to when they close. They make funky espresso drinks with pretentious pseudo-European names, and I'm okay with that because they taste delicious.

Now, if I go to McDonald's, and I order a cappuccino, chances are likely that it could suck and take forever for them to make because cappuccino-making is not their strong suit. Just as if Starbucks started selling fast food burgers and fries, I doubt that would be theirs either. It would probably take longer than usual, and they, most likely, would be more concerned with making somebody's low-fat, decaf caramel macchiato than my cheeseburger and order of french fries.

So, yeah, I get the whole gist of the ad campaign, but in reality, Starbucks customers are going to continue buying their fancy coffee drinks there, myself included. You get what you pay for. Starbucks has a good product, and they market it extremely well, right down to the little coffee cup wraps that keep your hands from burning. Plus, you know when you order a specialty espresso drink, it's going to be prepared perfectly and taste the way it should.

Do I really want to go to McDonald's and risk that the guy behind the counter really knows how to make a cappuccino? Or, be that customer who pisses everybody off behind the counter because you were the one asshole who had to order something complicated. Starbucks welcomes complicated orders. I've been in Starbucks before and have overheard the most ridiculous orders, and then couldn't believe it when people got them - and they were made correctly! If somebody orders that same drink at McDonald's, I'm willing to bet they are not getting what wanted.

When it's all said and done, is four bucks really that dumb when you are purchasing an exceptional product?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too have a Starbucks obsession. (Though I did once post a rant about their poor customer service and the fact that they don't understand simple cammands like "iced coffee.") But I only allow myself to go once per week as a treat. Otherwise, I'd be really, really poor.

I noticed Dunkin'Donuts is doing a new add where they're saying that people chose their coffee over Starbucks in a blind taste test. OF COURSE THEY DO! Most Americans have NO IDEA what coffee is ACTUALLY supposed to taste like. We're very used to drinking watered-down swill and loving it!

Anonymous said...

Oh, the spelling errors in my comment are giving me a headache. Sorry 'bout that.

Colette said...

I get a feeling that they've improved their customer service because every single one I've walked into in the past year or so has been full of very happy and helpful people, almost to the point of being annoying, in some cases. And one or two people seemed overly caffeinated as if they had just did an 8 ball of coke, but they were nice, just really wired.

See, I'm the type of person who buys her regular coffee at Dunkin Donuts because I don't like strong coffee, and it's watered down and the flavored coffees are full of sugar, which I love. However, if I want some foamy espresso concoction, Starbucks is where I go. And just like you, I go once or twice a week at the most. I like to treat myself, but I wouldn't want to spend that much every day. I would be broke!