Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Why Mark Rothko Will Always Rock My World


I have been a huge Mark Rothko fan, since I took an Art History course in college. That's why I was so delighted to see one of his paintings (still trying to figure out which one) in Mr. Cooper's office on Mad Men. During this episode, Jane called the art "smudgy squares", but it's so much more than that. Rothko uses the juxtaposition of different colors to evoke an array of emotions and moods. As much as I love his brighter paintings, there's something so haunting and magnificent about his darker, moodier pieces. Some of you may just see blurry blocks of color, but from what I hear, the only way to appreciate one of these paintings is to see it in person. Somebody online described the colors "vibrating". If I were lucky enough to have any piece of artwork, it would be a Rothko. For some reason, his art moves me because I find it so breathtaking. I'm considering buying a print for my bedroom.

And, if anybody knows the name of the painting featured on Mad Men, please let me know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful piece of art. Thanks for this post. Totes.