Friday, March 14, 2008

This Week

I did something I've never done before, and I still can't believe I had the guts to do it. I asked for a raise. This week, I started thinking about all the work I had been doing and how I deserved a bump in salary. I've been at this company for almost 4 years, and I've never asked for anything. There was one year I didn't even receive a bonus, but I just let it slide. I said, "That's okay." I've been doing a lot of work, above and beyond what is required of me. I support two different groups in two different buildings. I spend 3 days at one and 2 days at the other. Some days, I go to one for a few hours, and then I hop over to the other one for the rest of the day. I work hard, but I love my job. This week, I decided to fight for myself. I wanted more money. Tuesday night, I made my decision to ask my boss for my raise, so I spent most of the night on the internet researching the best tactics. I also got some coaching from one of my girlfriends; she's assertive and always goes for what she wants. She helped me a lot. By the time I entered my boss' office and closed the door, I was ready. I was so ready that I think I bombarded him. He looked stunned with this deer in the headlights look when I approached him. I presented my case; I told him all the reasons I deserved one, and the number I had in mind. The meeting went well. We are meeting next week once he talks to his boss. Hopefully, I get the raise I want. I aimed for the stars. We'll see what happens. I've never been the type of person who stands up for herself, but I realized in this life you have to fight for yourself; nobody else is going to fight harder for you than yourself. I walked out of there feeling empowered and proud of myself. The night before, I had read an article stating that the reason why most women are underpaid in today's society is because they never ask for more money. I thought that was sad, but it made me go for it. It was nerve-wracking, and it didn't come easy to me, but I did it any way. We'll see what happens. I'm just glad I fought for myself.

No comments: