Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The Real World: Hollywood

I don't know how it happened, but I started watching MTV's The Real World: Hollywood. It wasn't by choice. Like most reality TV shows, I got completely sucked in. This is a show where you don't like any of the people, and yet you continue to watch week after week. The stereotypes parade through like some kind of sketch comedy show. There's the stripper with the heart of gold, the alcoholic, the southern belle, the middle class priss, the laid back guy with the dreads, the misunderstood black guy, and the all American guy. They argue, go out drinking, behave like idiots, punch walls, make ignorant comments, and hook up with each other. They make bad choices, which in turn makes for great television. Take for example the guy who goes to the bar with his roommates and tells them he "used to" have a drinking problem. So how do they react? They offer him a shot; and when he says no, the all American guy tells him that he'll watch him so he doesn't overdo it. Great idea. I'm sure that will go well. Fast forward to 3 hours later, and the problem drinker is crouched down in front of their Hollywood pad sobbing uncontrollably. I thought that guy was watching him!

There's also the stripper with a warrant for assaulting her ex-boyfriend or the girl who hooks up with one of her roommies only to discover that she's not the only one he wants to sleep with? There's also the outsider. He isolates himself from the group, and I don't blame him. I'm pretty sure he's the only sane one in the house. If I had the choice to hang out with a guy who drinks a whole bottle of White Zinfandel and then threatens everybody in the house or taking a stroll by myself, I would be power walking my way to the other side of California.

I don't know where the producers found these people. I'm guessing they didn't make the "Next" and "Shot of Love with Tila Tequila" cut.

No comments: