Friday, May 16, 2008

The Great Escape

Escapism. You always hear people talk about how they're trying to "escape" from something, whether it be bills, stress, work, children, or even relationships. We spend thousands of dollars on massages/facials, extravagant vacations, overpriced drinks at the chi chi lounge in town, or even food. We use so many different things to escape the bitter reality of life. It seems as if everybody is too busy trying to escape from their everyday lives that they are unable to really experience their lives as they are.

I've tried to use things to escape. I've had times where I thought I could drink my sorrows away. I've also booked a fabulous vacation where I didn't have to think about anything but where I was going for my next meal and which outfit would look the best. I've had massages/facials where for a few moments, all my worries slipped away. However, reality hits you as soon as you sober up, fly back home, and walk out to pay for your luxurious massage.

I've always surrounded myself with people who want to escape from the world. They spend their lives in a false reality. I don't know why. Maybe there's a part of me that wants to escape too. I used to love going to clubs. I always said it was a fantasy: the lights, the people, the music, etc. It was beautiful and intense. The experience of clubbing was like nothing in the world, and for one brief moment all my problems had disappeared. The next morning, I would wake up - depressed and longing for the night before. Everything had been so perfect. And, yet nothing in my real life was even close to that. The night before had been just a mirage in a desert of longing and sadness.

As I got older, I learned to face my life, my worries, my faults, and all the stresses of everyday. I spent less time "escaping" and more time dealing. I discovered that the bright lights of the club are beautiful, and the music is haunting, almost magical, but it's not what life is all about. I met so many tragic figures in clubs, so many people who were lost souls, constantly searching for their salvation. I had to move on. Now, I have a solid job, found a great guy, have a wonderful famiy I love dearly, plus the best cat with 1/2 an ear; that to me is a good life. I don't need to escape from anything anymore. For the first time in my life, the beautiful things around me are real.

3 comments:

wcgillian said...

Nice post Colette. I stopped by because of the great photo you have on your profile pic. The candy lips. Is that original work? Very cool.

RJ

Colette said...

I didn't take that picture of the candy lips, but I think it's great. Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad you liked my post ;-)

Anonymous said...

I loved this post! So true..you have to stop trying to get away and just enjoy the beauty that surrounds you. Thanks for sharing such truth. :)