Thursday, October 18, 2007

The All Over Print Hoodie


On my way home from work tonight, I saw a guy wearing a black hoodie with gold stars and moons all over it. My first reaction was, "Is he serious?!!". My second reaction was, "That would look really cute on a 10 year-old girl." Now, I'm one of the biggest trend whores I know. I've totally embraced the whole 80's comeback, and I've even bought some rainbow earrings, and I've been known to sport an over sized belt over a long shirt every once in a while. However, this really crosses the line. "Dude! You are a full grown man, so why are you dressing like a little girl with Barbies hanging out of her pockets?!!" I think it should be socially acceptable as a woman to just go up to one of these guys and laugh in his face or maybe just point and whisper to your girlfriend as he walks by.

I was intrigued by this fashion don't. I did a little research. I discovered they were started by a company named BAPE, and I guess BAPE print hoodies are the bomb diggety. However, BAPE hoodies are the Gucci of hoodies; they are quite expensive and only the creme de la creme of the hoodie community can afford to wear them. In the wake of the BAPE trend, many other clothing manufacturers have tried to jump on the all print hoodie bandwagon by producing total crap hoodies with ridiculously colorful prints that remind us of Sesame Street on acid. This is the one fashion trend right now that really "grinds my gears". Is it that men will wear anything in the frenzy of fashion trendiness? Or, are men just regressing back to their inner 10 year-olds? Maybe men are trying to relive their childhoods without the strict gender boundaries. Back then, they were forced to wear blues and greens; now they can rock pink glittery stars or gold moons and nobody says a word. Next time, you see one of these guys on the street, look to see if his pockets are filled with My Little Ponies and ask him where you can get one for your 10 year-old niece.

No comments: