Saturday, September 17, 2011

The Beauty in Appreciation


I have a girlfriend. She's in her 30s, has had several tumultuous relationships, has been deeply hurt in the past, has dated her share of losers, alcoholics, moochers, narcissistic guys who didn't care about her feelings; and through it all, she believed that one day she would find a fantastic man. And, she did. When we discussed this new man in her life, I remember something in the conversation that really resonated with me: She said "If I had met him anytime earlier in my life than I did, I wouldn't have appreciated him as much as I do now.

I met somebody recently. I am constantly amazed by how wonderful he is and how well we click together. I know exactly what my girlfriend was talking about. I don't think I could possibly have appreciated him years ago than I do right now. It's as if I had to go through all the bullshit to get to where I am today, to feel what I do for him, to recognize how incredible he is. All I can be is grateful that I found somebody at the exact right time in my life. They say timing is everything, and it is.

No comments: