Monday, July 6, 2009

The Pick-Up Artist Gone Wrong


The other night, my roommate and I decided to grab some drinks at a local bar up the street from us. We sat down at the bar and ordered a couple of Coronas and about twenty minutes later, two guys walked in. Before we knew it, one of them came over to us in a frenetic, yet extremely awkward manner and blurted out: "If you could give up one thing, great food or great sex, which would it be?"

The worst part was he stammered because he was obviously nervous, which made my roommate and I feel really uncomfortable and embarrassed for him. In fact I was cringing, and I couldn't even answer his poll question or whatever it was because my mind had gone blank. The situation was sad, and he obviously felt humiliated and soon left the bar with his wingman aka the silent, timid guy standing next to him.

I decided to research the PUA (Pick-Up Artists) opening lines. Now, just picture some guy coming up to you and a friend, asking you these stupid questions.
Settle this bet for me, ok? If you KNOW you will never get caught, is it cheating?

Guys, quick question. What's hotter: a tattoo, or a piercing?

Do you guys know any good places to dance around here?

Guys. I have a really important question for you. Like, fate of the world stuff. You ready? Bacon? Or ham?

OK, I need help settling this argument. Guys or girls: who kisses better?

How about instead of all this hoopla, a guy comes over with some confidence and a smile and says hello and asks you how your night is going so far. Simple is good. Women respond well to friendly and confident. They don't want to be polled or surveyed. You have a much better chance of striking up a conversation acting normal than you do coming across as a bad TV game show host.

No comments: