Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Narcissus Called and He Says You're In Love With Yourself


Throughout my online dating adventures, I was contacted by a guy who was extremely attractive, intelligent, and successful. He was the total package, except for one major flaw: he was completely in love with himself. I have never seen anything like it before.

He sent me an e-mail, and I responded, and then he waited quite a while before he responded, several days in fact. However, I would see that he was viewing my profile here and there. It was strange. Usually once you respond to somebody's e-mail, that person does not hesitate to reply back, but he did.

Finally, he replied. And then we chatted on IM. He asked me what attracted me to him, and I said that he was "cute". He was offended by the comment. He said that he was used to women "throwing themselves at him". He said that I didn't seem that into him. Hi, I don't know you! We just started talking! So, the only thing I could go by was the profile and his pictures.

Against my better judgment, I agreed to meet him for drinks. The plan was that he was supposed to e-mail me during the work day and we would iron out the details of the date. He never e-mailed me at work, so instead of waiting around like somebody's lap dog, I made other plans with my roommate.

That night around 8, he called. I let it go to voicemail. He sent me a message through the online dating site. He wanted to go out. I told him I had plans. He told me to cancel them. I told him no, and then he said that he had a back-up date. However, he continued to insist that I cancel my plans. I refused.

He said that if I really liked him, then I would cancel. I didn't. I don't break plans for assholes. In fact, I don't break plans for any guy. I had a life before him, and just because he's in the picture, doesn't mean I have to alter my whole world for him.

The funny thing about this particular guy was the fact that if he was so fantastic and women were throwing themselves at him like he insisted they were, then why was he cruising the online dating sites looking for available women? He claimed he was "selective", but a lot of guys say that to make the woman feel special. These men usually aren't that picky: they're desperate.

In the end, despite this guy's good looks, he became increasingly unattractive to me. He was an arrogant asshole who really thought he was a gift to all women and that they should actively pursue and chase him. F that. I will never chase a man. It's not worth my time or the effort I put into it because whether he realizes it now or not, the one he will end up falling for will be the one whom he pursues.

No comments: