Monday, January 12, 2009

Groundhog Day


This is my life right now: the movie Groundhog Day, where Bill Murray spends the majority of the movie, having the exact same day over and over. Right now, everything is so routine and tedious. I'm in a rut, emotionally, romantically, and pretty much in every other aspect of my life. I'm in this strange holding pattern, and I can't break out.

I'm really hoping I pull out of this by the summertime, because I can't stand this feeling. It's winter, so for now, I spend my weekends curled up in a blanket, watching bad TV. I don't really have any friends around. There's just nothing going on. The city is foreign to me again. It's like I just moved here, even though I've lived her for 10 years.

One of my girlfriends is going through the same thing, and she described it as being a plane that's flying around, stuck in the air, unable to land. Yeah, that's exactly what it feels like. Just flying around in circles, unable to see the ground below, constantly searching for the bright lights of the runway or some emergency cones or air traffic controllers to flag me in.

In the meantime, I have to remain positive. Things will get better; I just have to give it time. I will meet new people and live again. For now, it's quiet and maybe it's my chance to reflect on everything I want and need out of life.

Has anybody else ever gone through this? What did you do to pull yourself out?

No comments: