Thursday, November 13, 2008

Quote of the Day: Me

"I wish I were more free-thinking when it comes to issues like these, but I'm just grossed out."

Today on Jezebel, I received worst comment of the day because I made an honest statement about how I feel about the Thomas Beatie situation. Thomas Beatie is the transgendered person, who was once a woman, but is now a man or 1/2 a man because he still has a vagina.

I have no problem with transgendered people or how they live their lives. I am, however, repulsed by the pure physicality of it. I would love to be able to look at a picture of a guy with a pregnant belly and think "Wow, that's great!", but my first reaction is a visceral one and that is "Eww." Just as if I saw a bearded lady, standing there with a pregnant belly.

It's not the norm and don't pretend it's a completely every day event because it's not. I'm not going to tell you that seeing a picture of a bearded man, pregnant and holding his tummy doesn't gross me out because it does. It's visually disturbing to me and all the "good for him and his wife" sentiments aren't going to change that.

And if you are more open-minded than me, then I'm happy for you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it is what it is. I have a friend who is transgender so I think I am little less freaked out, but I think you're just being honest and honestly, that's the best way to be!

Colette said...

Phatchik,

Thanks for the comment. I really am trying to be more accepting, and I am doing my best to educate myself on transgender issues. It's quite fascinating. I'm trying to work past the "eww" reaction.

I think what a lot of people fail to realize is not everybody is open to the idea or comfortable with seeing a transgender man pregnant because they've never seen it before. It takes some getting used to. You can't expect everybody to just accept this as a normal day occurrence because it's far from it.

That being said: I hope that society becomes more tolerant and accepting of the transgender community, but it's going to take some time and patience.