Friday, November 14, 2008

Bad Date Story: Online Dating Gone Wrong

I just got an e-mail from a woman who wanted to share this bad date story involving a real keeper she met online:
I decided to try online dating a few years ago. Many of my friends, who were happily coupled, had met their significant others this way so I figured, how bad could it be?? (Famous last words!) Eventually, I met someone I thought would be interesting. He composed a lovely email, had good grammar (very important!) and was generally pleasant over Instant Message. Also, he built and sold (and played) acoustic guitars. Awesome.

So, the day of our date he had planned to visit his parents about 2 hours away. He called me in the morning to tell me that he thought he'd be home around 6pm and he would be ready to go out around 7 or 8. Okay. Well, around 7 he called to let me know that he had just left his parents house. (WTF?) He gave me directions to his house and asked me to meet him there. I wasn't thrilled with the idea, but whatever. Okay, so I get to his house at 9 (2 hours after he left his parents) and he doesn't show up until 10. (I was calling and calling but he never answered the phone...odd)

So, we meet in his parking lot and it's awkward and dark but whatever. He invites me up and I was feeling a little trepidatious about that but I go. He went into his room to change and tells me to get him a diet pepsi from the fridge (excuse me, do I live here?). I do, and when he emerges from the room, he's dressed WORSE then when he went into the room and smoking a cigarette (blech!).

He grabs the diet pepsi and chugs it then plops down on the couch. You would have thought we were an old married couple, not two people meeting for the first time. He invites me to sit next to him and I do but I said, "So are we going out?" And he said, "Nah. It's too late. We're going to watch a movie and then I'm going to play the guitar for a bit and sing to you. Do you want to smoke a joint I found at my parents house? It's probably like 10 years old!" I was just shaking my head in disbelief!

As I got up to leave I noticed the worst part...HE HAD A TOUPEE!!!!! A BAD ONE! It might as well have had a chin-strap! Needless to say, we never spoke again and I LEFT QUICKLY!

2 comments:

Kate Lord Brown said...

Oh - the toupee was the icing on the cake (so to speak)!

Colette said...

I know, how hilarious! That's one of those dates that's so bad, you have to just laugh about it. I've had dates like that. You feel as if somebody is pulling a prank on you. As you're experiencing it, you're thinking "There's no way this is really happening."