Friday, April 11, 2008

I Got the Raise!

As I had written a few weeks ago, I had mentioned that I mustered up enough courage to ask my boss for a raise. After many follow ups with my boss, I finally got it. I didn't get the amount that I wanted, but he thinks I'll be able to get the rest by the end of the year. He also said he didn't see any reason why I couldn't be promoted; this is something I have to follow up with him. The key to getting a raise is once you get the guts to ask for one, you have to continue to follow up until you actually get it. It's a pain. I felt like I was harassing my boss, but in the end you have to fight for yourself. My boss is a great guy, and he was very understanding. It wasn't so much his decision as it was his boss' decision. So, after a little pushing, his boss decided I deserved one.

During this conversation when he told me I had gotten the raise, we also discussed my career goals. We agreed that I should go back to school and finally get my bachelors after almost 14 years. He also said that by next year, he could slowly transition me into an Analyst role. I'm absolutely thrilled.

I'm really glad I asked for it because it would have never happened if I hadn't said something. I deserved that raise, and most importantly, I was able to convince my employer I did too. It wasn't an easy task, and I was a nervous wreck doing it, but now I'm reaping the benefits. That extra money in my paycheck will really help. I'm so happy.

No comments: