Sunday, December 30, 2007

2007: Another Year Gone By

A year ago, if you would've asked me where my life would be at this moment, I would've never been able to guess. Much has changed in just one year. My boyfriend of almost two years and I found a place in the city together. We adopted a cat who needed a home. The first time during my career, I felt like I was moving in the right direction. And, I watched one of my closest girlfriends move 3,000 miles away. It's been a long year. There have been many ups and downs. It's been a rocky road. My boyfriend and I have struggled financially and romantically. Things have not been easy.
We moved into a lovely apartment in one of the best areas in the city. Although, it's a great place and the perfect location, it has caused many problems. We pay a lot of money for a place that we don't want to be anymore. I think we've come to the realization that we aren't city people. We thought we were; but when it comes down to it, we are suburbanites at heart. The city is not relaxing. Frankly, it's a pain in the ass. Our apartment is on the 4th floor, and there is no elevator. It's technically three flights up, but they are grueling, never ending flights. We thought we would get used to it, but we never did. In fact, I think it's getting worse. By the time, you get up the stairs, you just want to collapse on the couch and never get up. Part of the reason, we wanted to move into the city was to be in the middle of everything. We are indeed in the middle of everything, only it doesn't matter because we never leave the house! Once you go up those stairs, you are sucked into the vortex. I told my boyfriend it's like being trapped up in a tower. You feel isolated, tired, and unmotivated to go back downstairs. Oh, and don't get me started on bringing groceries up! I'm trying to enjoy the place until we decide to move some time next year, but I'm having a hard time. I just want a place with a driveway and maybe a yard; a big apartment where my cat can run around; and somewhere I can stash all my shit because I have a ton of clothes, books, and knick nacks without a home right now.

I guess it's funny to think that what you think are the decisions that will make you the happiest will in fact make you the most miserable. Who would've thought a year from now, I would be here. This has been an extremely difficult year. My boyfriend's and my relationship has been tested over and over again. There have been many outside factors that have caused this strife. We are working through our issues, and I am optimistic that 2008 will bring some happiness for us. There are a lot of changes in the works for both of us: personally, career wise, and hopefully financially. We are entering a new year with new opportunities. If I had to guess where I will be a year from now, I would tell you I have no idea, and I don't want to guess. John Lennon said it best when he said, "Life happens when you're making other plans." I have an idea where I would like to be a year from now, but I'll just see where life takes me in 2008.

No comments: