Thursday, June 21, 2012

A Drug Affair

After a long hiatus, I'm back. Things sucked for what seemed like an eternity (fuck!), but I'm back and feeling stronger than ever, blah, blah blah. But enough about me let's talk about something more interesting, shall we!


What does everybody think of Cat Marnell? If you're not familiar with her, she was the beauty editor for xoJane, who recently left because she is a drug addict. She's candid about her addiction. Her articles for xoJane were beauty product reviews interspersed with druggie anecdotes. She has a love affair with drugs (as all addicts do), and she writes about that lust in a stream of consciousness, throwing up her words onto her computer screen as quickly as she can type. Her writing is frenetic, honest, and raw.

I personally like her writing: She's a solid writer with a strong, albeit, controversial voice. She's interesting. She's polarizing. And she never pretends to be anybody she's not. Love her or hate her, she is an enigmatic personality. 

"It’s 2012 in Manhattan, the island of cell phones and no clocks. Of dead Blackberry batteries, New Museums, old money—trust funds, angel dust funds, acid rains, and dead brains. Ritalin kids are generic adults living on vampire schedules. The Lost Boys soundtrack is always playing at the Dream Hotel and everyone’s forgotten their iPhone chargers: Yo, what time is it?"

My favorite movie, Boogie Nights, has a quote that makes me think of Cat's writing persona.
"When I close my eyes, I see this thing, a sign, I see this name in bright blue neon lights with a purple outline. And this name is so bright and so sharp that the sign - it just blows up because the name is so powerful..."

So, how does everybody feel about her? Do you love or hate her writing?



No comments: